I am VERY late to the party, but being a newbie book blogger I just caught wind of a really cool event happening this Saturday, April 26th: The Dewey 24 Hour Read-a-thon!
Needless to say, I will definitely participate… what better excuse to spend much of an entire day reading than raising money for charity? Oh and obviously all I really need is the pleasure of an interesting book, but for charity is extra motivating!
Since my son, Gavyn, loves to read too, he is excited to participate. He just turned six, and is probably a Grade 2 or so reading level, so we are going to get him going on a nice stack of books for as long as they can hold his attention. What a blessing to be able to do this alongside him!
When I told Gavyn that we would be raising money to give to a charity, he thought it would be a great idea to give money towards summer soccer camp scholarships in a downtown Vancouver program called Kickers Soccer Camp. He is looking forward to attending the camp in July, and is stoked to help some other kid or kids go too.
So, for the money! Here is what I am going to do:
- $3 for every book Gavyn reads
- $5 for every book I read
- $5 for every hour of audio-booking
- $5 for every hour between 5am Saturday and 5am Sunday spent not reading
- $0.25 for every encouraging comment on this or other Read-a-thon related post on this blog
- $0.25 for every twitter update retweet or Facebook share/comment/like
And, because reading doesn’t end with the Read-a-thon:
- $1.00 for every new Book Musings blog follower
Instead of running the fundraiser for only the 24 hours, I am going to run it from the publish time of this post until 5am Pacific time on Sunday morning, April 27th.
So go ahead and start the fun!